The program aims to:
- Use problem-based learning and service learning as methodologies for integrating sustainability issues in formal and non-formal education environments.
- Enhance knowledge for informed decision and policy-making on education for sustainable development issues.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the relationship between education policy and planning in the field of ESD; the institutional structures needed to support ESD policies; and the role of various actors and entities in shaping educational policy and change for sustainability.
- Enhance critical, analytical and integrative skills for developing ICT-enabled ESD curricula and training programmes.
- Produce professional experts on ICT-enabled ESD having the capacity to become reflective practitioners and agents of change, locally as well as globally.
- Offer a virtual learning environment supported by critical pedagogies in contextualising sustainability issues with innovative use of ICTs as means, as resources and as enabling transformative tools.
Course of the program are allocated either 5 or 10 ECTS credits, which equates to 125 (5 ECTS) and 250 (10 ECTS) hours of work for the learner, respectively. Learner activities and workload have been divided into four areas: (1) directed learning online, (2) dynamic interaction online, (3) assessment, and (4) independent learning. Given that courses are 14 weeks long, then an average learner will be engaged in ‘Directed Learning Online’, which involves reviewing pre-designed online content by themselves for up to 2.5 hours per week; in ‘Dynamic Interaction Online’ or ‘live’ interaction with their peers and/or the e-tutor for about 1.5 hour per week; and in preparation for ‘Assessment’ by themselves or with peers for 7 hours per week. An additional 7 hours per week is allowed for ‘Independent Learning’ or reading beyond the course.
Course Structure Diagram
|ICTESD501||SUSTAINABILITY THEORY, SYSTEMS THINKING AND TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE||10|
|ICTESD502||APPROACHES TO EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|ICTESD503||ESD PEDAGOGY AND ICT||10|
|ICTESD505||ACTION RESEARCH AND PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|ICTESD504||APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY, ACTIVE CITIZENSHIP AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||10|
|ICTESD506||ICT, INSTRUCTIONAL/LEARNING DESIGN AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|